Photography Permit for Edinburgh’s parks

Wedding Photography Permit?

So you’re getting married in Edinburgh City Centre, you have arranged an amazing venue which is central and not far from say, Princess Street Gardens, or only a little taxi ride away from Calton Hill. You know Calton Hill and you’ve seen wonderful wedding photographs taken there, so you wonder – could you arrange for your wedding photographs to be taken on Calton Hill too? Or at the Royal Botanic Gardens? Or in some other park in Edinburgh?

There are a couple of things to consider:

  1. Access. Calton Hill, for example, has a road that allows pre-booked cars / transport to access Calton Hill on a certain date, for a certain time slot. There may be an event happening on your wedding day which makes things a bit more difficult. If you want to walk up – think about high heels etc.
  2. Permit. A permit? You might wonder? Anyone can go into any park in Edinburgh? Or walk up Calton Hill and take photographs?? Why would I need a permit? Edinburgh City Council have kindly provided useful information on their website for people seeking permission to film and/or take photographs in and around Edinburgh’s streets and parks.

So basically, currently – at the time of writing this – the suggested donation is £50.

Edinburgh City Council – Photography Permit

From the Edinburgh City Council website: “For permission to use parks and green spaces including Calton Hill, complete our application form (PDF, 195 KB). As a rule, at least 24 hours notice is required. In some cases, more notice will be essential. You will need to provide a copy of your public liability insurance before permission is granted.”


Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh

The Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh have their own policy too. Here’s a little screenshot with a link to their website too.


Botanics Website

Edinburgh Castle Filming and Photography

Paul Spence / Edinburgh Castle Contact Page
Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8731